Monday, November 7, 2011

Dear Diary


My dearest friend, Lady Chardonnay, has been blogging daily about her weight loss progress. I think I would like to make this more of a general diary of what's going on with me!! (Yes, I am TOTALLY copying my BFF as she is setting a SPLENDID example!)

Speaking of weight loss, I have lost a total of 11 pounds over the course of 2 months. I am eating better and I am definitely forgoing all the sweets I used to substitute for breakfast and lunch. I am not a huge lover of breakfast. Oatmeal never really appeals although I actually LIKE it. Weird. I am also weird about cereal: I do not like eating it with milk, preferring it plain. I got some yummy cereal at Trader Joe's and it was too crumbly for plain eating. My solution was eating it mixed in to a serving of vanilla yogurt! Perfect!

So I am eating less crap but the weight is really going nowhere. My assumption is that if I do nothing else, while eating my new healthier diet, I will lose about 5 pounds over the course of a year. Since I need to lose a zillion I will need to ramp up my efforts: less food, more exercise!

Time will tell....

Meanwhile, my son (let's call him The Boy) has had his driver's license for a month now. It took him about 3 weeks to start referring to MY CAR as "my car". Guh. He does not have a car of his own because his father (let's call him CPA Boy) is waiting for the model he wants to buy to arrive at the dealership. CPA Boy wants a 2012 Hybrid Toyota Camry. The Boy will then get the 2005 Toyota Corolla while I will wrest back control of my 2007 Toyota Prius.

As you can see, we are a Toyota family indeed.

We used to buy new cars all the time. We had a rolling system where we would buy a new car every 3 years so that we each kept a car for a total of 6 years. Then we'd sell the 6 year old vehicle. Now we have decided to stick with our cars for as long as possible. Plus CPA Boy got screwed out of the last deal, as he got my 3 year old Corolla and I got the new Prius!

In any case I will be so happy to have my car back in my complete control. I do not like anyone driving my car. (I also don't like to be a passenger in cars either, by the way.)

I had a huge pile of magazines to go through thanks to some new subscriptions. I get National Geographic, Entertainment Weekly, Time, and Real Simple, all of which I love and read religiously. We got free subscriptions to Oprah, Good Housekeeping, Redbook, Money, and Smart Money. I was DROWNING. So this weekend I took Saturday night to polish them off. This involved NOT READING some of them. It feels good to have the pile GONE.

I counted the books on my To Be Read bookcase next to my bed. There were exactly 50!! And I have new ones coming every week thanks to papaerbackswap.com!!! I just ordered a teen book series by Lauren Myracle apparently written in instant message form. They were on several challenged book lists so I must check them out!

And my TV programs keep recording. Thanks to my newer, larger capacity DVR I have actually been able to watch a bit MORE than normal. This involves watching movies in pieces: perhaps 15 minutes while I am cooking dinner, another 10 minutes while I wait for CPA Boy to finish showering and then join me for our regular TV, etc... But last night I finished "Mona Lisa Smile" instead of watching "Boardwalk Empire" or "Once Upon a Time" because practically every actress in it was of note: Julia Roberts, Julia Stiles, Kirsten Dunst, Maggie Gyllenhal, Ginnifer Goodwin, Marcia Gay Harden, and a couple of others, including a tiny part for an actress now on "Boardwalk Empire". I loved the movie, by the way. A distaff version of "Dead Poet's Society"??

I was making a list of TV shows I watch this morning to share with Lady C and I now realize I forgot one: American Horror Story! Oh, and sometimes The Daily Show!

Well, this is cool. I didn't think I had much to write about and here we are. LOTS written! Yay!

2 comments:

  1. I'm happy that you're copying me (ha -- I think *I* actually copied *you* -- you had a blog first!), because whom better to copy?

    Several responses:
    - I like granola with apple juice on it (a treat I discovered when SAGA ran out of milk one morning, and one of the crunchy girls suggested this alternative); we're all weird.
    - I loved Oprah Magazine, but it's as big as a book -- just too much of a commitment. I'd rather read a book, you know?
    - My subtitle for Real Simple is "Solutions for problems you never knew you had!" It irks me to death, though the photographs are gorgeous. We will have to fight over this. I'll call you. ☺
    - I was so disappointed in Mona Lisa Smile (which I saw when it first came out), but its soundtracks is one of my favorite CDs, I play it all the time. I liked the circle pins and pencil skirts but wanted to slap every character, repeatedly.
    - I'm sad that I didn't start American Horror Story (Barby's watching it too) but I think my inner TV schedule is full. I really liked Person of Interest and Prime Suspect, but I can *never* remember to watch either one. I think my days of 10 o'clock shows are over. (Do NOT say Tivo to me, or we'll have to fight about that too!) ☺

    Love you! So happy you're blogging again!

    xox your besty

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record, CPA Boy wants a Chevy Volt, but Kelly says "no."

    ReplyDelete