Tuesday, January 24, 2012

More Places I've Lived, Places I've Loved

I'm skipping over the college years for now in order to cover the grown-up years!

  • My parents' house in Petaluma, 1986-1987
    • I won't list the address as Dad still lives there now.
    • Interestingly, even though we moved several times when I was growing up, once my parents bought this house in 1985 they stayed put. This is the place they have lived for the longest period in their lives.
  • Coddingtown Mall Apartments, Range Avenue, Santa Rosa, California, 1987-1990
    • My very first place!
      • I actually tried renting an apartment in Rohnert Park at an earlier date but there was a shooting and I only stayed a couple of weeks. I am not counting it for purposes of a separate entry!
    • It would get VERY hot in the summer (no AC) and VERY cold in the winter (I was poor/cheap).
    • I had some old furniture of my parents: my brothers' old bunk bed set (I just set the beds up separately), dresser and the old orange plaid couch.
      • I need to find a picture of that couch! It was really loud but it was very comfortable and it lasted forever. Eventually each of my brothers also got use from it.
        • It ended up abandoned on a curb at some point about 20 years or so ago!
    • This is where I was living when I began dating CPA Boy (he was Teller Boy then)
 
  •   The Villages Apartments, Bay Village Circle, Santa Rosa, California, 1990-1991 (floorplan above)
    • Our first apartment as a couple "living in sin". It was a brand-new complex, parts of which were still being constructed.
    • This is where I learned to keep my towel on after a shower rather than walking to the bedroom naked. I was showering before work and as I left the bathroom (not wearing contacts or glasses OR ANYTHING ELSE) I saw someone standing in the doorway. I ran screaming back into the bathroom, "Get out! Get out! Get out!" It was CPA Boy, returning briefly to the apartment after an early work meeting. Now I ALWAYS wear my towel until it's time to get dressed.
    • We had a one year lease but we got out of it early. The manager told us that a lot of parents cosigned leases to get their kids out of the house. Consequently it was party central most nights. Also, our neighbors had an abusive relationship and we would hear screaming and crying through the wall. The police came out quite often but there was nothing they could do without the woman pressing charges. Awful.


  • Oak Creek Apartments, Graylawn Avenue, Petaluma, California, 1991-1993 (above)
    • In the picture you can see the stairway on the left. Our apartment was upstairs on the left side so almost out of the frame (the kitchen wall is the extreme left). I used to park in the space just to the right of the parked car straight ahead. I know it's hard to see, sorry.
    • We got married from this apartment. I also got pregnant here. Lots of milestones!
    • It was a one bedroom place, which is why we moved once I got pregnant, and was perfectly roomy. It was very quiet here. The managers were nice.
    • The only real flaw was that our apartment had no real windows, only a sliding glass door off the bedroom and the living room. The rooms were always dark.
    • We bought the futon/sofa for this place, our first piece of furniture bought together!
  • Parkside Apartments, Arlen Drive, Rohnert Park, California, 1993-1995
    • We moved here because CPA Boy's grandparents were the managers and there was a 2-bedroom apartment available.
    • It was mostly quiet although one resident used to play his music really loud when he worked on his car. Which was always. And another neighbor had middle of the night screaming matches with her boyfriend. I actually had to call the police once because she kept screaming she wanted to kill him. She was beating him with a broom. Fun times.
    • The laundry room was right down stairs which was convenient.
    • Once Grandpa and Grandma retired things went downhill pretty quickly and we moved away.
    • We DID live next door to a park. One of the benefits of living in Rohnert Park was that most neighborhoods had a park with a public pool.
  • Emerald Pointe Apartments, Camino Collegio, Rohnert Park, California, 1995-1996
    • Another brand-new apartment complex. It was okay, kind of a weigh (way?) station before CPA Boy finished college and we had saved up enough for a house.
    • This apartment was downstairs and it always sounded like our upstairs neighbor was playing soccer in the living room.
    • One weird and annoying thing was that this apartment complex had some sort of deal that required us to use some odd phone company. We couldn't use Pacific Bell.
  • Peach Court, Santa Rosa, California, 1996-1998
    • Our first house!
    • Brand-new, 3-bedroom, 2 story for $140,000 ($144,000?).
    • In hindsight, we should have waited before buying a house. CPA Boy was not yet working for a CPA firm so what we could afford was based on my salary and we could have done better had we waited.
    • The neighborhood was not a good one but Peach Court was kind of isolated due to it's large cul-de-sac which had one entry point. Our house was on a side street to the cul-de-sac where we shared a main driveway with 3 other houses.
    • Our neighbor across the street had a son in his early 20s with a pickup truck he always parked in the shared driveway which then blocked my car in the garage. He also had an unleashed rottweiler. We were doing yard work one day and the dog came out so I headed into the garage to go inside. The dog got between me and the garage and growled at me. CPA Boy grabbed the dog by the collar and dragged him across the street where the guy yelled at him not to touch his dog.
      • I am PETRIFIED of large dogs (not a big fan of small ones either) and this was the last straw. We put the house up for sale within a week. Not to mention all the dog poo that was killing our lawn. Also it was almost time for The Boy to start school and we didn't want to stay in a bad neighborhood for that.
    • The real estate agent was awful though. She was recommended by a co-worker and we foolishly signed with her.
      • She was told to leave me alone on Academy Awards night (my Superbowl) and she showed up anyway.
      • She signed us and then immediately took a couple of weeks off to get some (elective) plastic surgery.
      • She took her daughter with us on house tours. Our 5-year-old son was allowed to touch nothing (I wouldn't let him, as a responsible parent) but the agent's daughter (about 8 or 9 years old) opened every drawer and touched everything, including a pool table at one place.
      • She did not seem to understand what we were looking for in a new house. We wanted a 3 bedroom house with a living room and family room OR a 4 bedroom house with or without a family room. The goal was to have office space each for me and for CPA Boy.
        • She only took us to 3 bedroom places with a living room and no family rooms.
      • We started looking on our own and lucked into a real estate agent we continue to use to this day. All worked out in the end.
  • Montecito Pines Apartments, Montecito Blvd, Santa Rosa, California, 1998
    • We lived here for one month because we sold Peach Court before we could close on the next house. CPA Boy's sister and her husband were managing this complex and had an apartment available.
    • We put almost everything into storage and lived with the bare necessities.
    • It was so much warmer on this side of town than at Peach Court, like 10 degrees more! The Boy was able to spend time with his cousins while we stayed here.
  • Searles Way, Petaluma, California, 1998-2009
    • The longest time I have ever lived in one place, eleven years!
    • This was another place where 4 houses shared one main driveway. This is one of the things we never plan to have again in any future house.
    • Our house was behind the front one so out house didn't really have a pretty facade. The paint colors were "Tumbleweed" for the body and "Brown Owl" for the trim so you can see it was pretty blah. (Who wants a house the color of a tumbleweed?!)
    • The Boy started kindergarten at a school that had opened up the year before. He went there for 7 years and by the time he started 7th grade the new junior high had opened up within easy walking distance of our house. Carpool only really started for me during the high school years (not counting some rainy days during junior high).
    • We decided to move because real estate prices plummeted (you may have heard something about the economy tanking a few years back...) and we thought we could get a nicer house for cheap. So we moved to...

  •  Adobe Creek neighborhood, Petaluma, California, 2009-????
    • The above picture is not our house but that is the same basic model. There are about 40 similar houses out of 300 total.
    • We have a nice house on a golf course. We are lucky to be far enough away from the tee that flying golf balls are not really an issue. We ARE right next to the path and crosswalk for golfers though so we get to hear a lot of golf carts screeching to a stop. 
    • The master bedroom and one of the other bedrooms are both downstairs which is great because CPA Boy is not good on stairs. He uses the downstairs bedroom as his office/rat sanctuary. The Boy and I are upstairs: him in his bedroom and me in my office.
    • Real estate prices have not risen at all so we may be here a while. The Boy seems in no hurry to move out. It may be years before I have a guest room!

No comments:

Post a Comment