Thursday, January 5, 2012

Movie Time!

I FINALLY made it to the movie theater today.

Originally, our local theater promised to show artsy films but they caved to financial decisions and now only show the bigger studio films. I really wanted to see "The Artist" but it's only playing about 20 miles in either direction from my home. I chose to go south today to San Rafael and the Century Theater.

For a mere $6.50 I was thoroughly entertained. I am also pretty sure I was the youngest person in the audience of about 15 people. That was a nice thing because we were pretty spread out and it was probably a safe bet that the older people weren't going to feel the need to check their cell phones every 2 minutes while the film was running.

I always turn my phone off completely as I feel there is nothing that can't wait for 2 hours. I went to the movies on a Superbowl Sunday once and got to watch my seat neighbor check the score constantly during the entire movie. Sheesh, if it matters that much to you, buddy, stay home and watch the game!

The star of "The Artist" reminded me a bit of Gene Kelly, one of my absolute favorite actors (my name is 'Kelly Jean' but Mom said she DIDN'T name me after Gene Kelly. Darn. Funny because she was named 'Dorothy" because Dorothy Lamour was also a New Orleans girl who was winning beauty contests around the time my mom was born.). One of the older women sighed, "Clark Gable" when I mentioned the Gene Kelly resemblance as we left the theater. She was right; it's a bit of both. This film would be an awesome double feature with "Singin' in the Rain". It truly is almost a silent movie. My only complaint is that there wasn't enough Missy Pyle or Malcolm McDowell, even though they were prominently billed.

I always remember the vaguest things about movie previews but there was one with Judi Dench and Maggie Smith that seemed cute. I just looked up the name: "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel". Also has Bill Nighy and Tom Wilkinson. For the life of me I cannot remember a single other preview even though we must have been shown 4 or 5. Isn't that weird that I don't remember?

In book news, I checked to see how long the line was at my library for Tina Fey's Bossypants. There are 160 holds right now. Even though there a probably a lot of copies available it's still hard to say how long it will take to get it. I am 585 on Paperback Swap; that will take a few months. But I noticed that there were NO holds on the library audiobook version. So I took the plunge and figured out how to download it to my computer and iPod. Then I had to wait for the iPod to charge up. I am terrible about keeping that thing charged up because I usually listen to my iTunes library of music on my computer.

Anyway, I have never listened to an audiobook before. (Oops, that's a lie: I got a free Kindle version of Go the F*ck to Sleep as read by Samuel L. Jackson but that's a kid's book listened to in about 10 minutes.)

I do not know what to do with myself while I am listening to an audiobook! And Tina Fey is great at reading her own book. Basically I just put on the headphones, lay on the couch and listen. Or tonight I listened on the computer while playing games on Pogo. I am about 3 hours in already (I only get it for a week and then it should disappear like magic from my computer/iPod.).

I have to hem some pants for my dad and I think I will do that tomorrow while listening to more of Tina. She's half-Greek just like me!

But truly, I am not sure that audiobooks are really for me. I guess I could listen via iPod while I walk on the treadmill but we're talking tiny increments of time, like 20 minutes. I could not listen to something just 20 minutes a day. Plus I really like physical BOOKS. I mean, I like the Kindle just fine. It's great for traveling. But I can never see it totally replacing many of my actual books. (Oh gosh, I was looking on my bookshelves yesterday for that last Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants book so I could list it at Paperback Swap and I just realized I have it on my Kindle! Duh.)

Plus I have tiny ears and earbuds freaking hurt to wear for any length of time. Oh and audiobooks don't seem to include the pictures! I want to SEE Tina's famously awful hairstyles! (Yeah, yeah, that's what Google is for!)

And my weight is down by another couple of pounds; I don't know how. But I will take it! Just a million more to go! Tiny butt? Tiny belly? No, I have tiny EARS. Dammit.

2 comments: