Thursday, February 23, 2012

1962...It was a very good year

Lots of interesting things happened in 1962. Such as...

Top Twelve Grossing Films
  1. Lawrence of Arabia
  2. The Longest Day
  3. In Search of the Castaways (Hayley Mills)
  4. Whatever Happened to Baby Jane
  5. The Music Man
  6. Dr. No
  7. That Touch of Mink
  8. Mutiny on the Bounty
  9. To Kill a Mockingbird
  10. Gypsy
  11. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
  12. How the West Was Won
Wow, I have only seen 5 of these! (1, 4, 9, 10, 11)

Other Notables Films
  1. Birdman of Alcatraz
  2. Day of the Triffids
  3. Jules et Jim
  4. Lolita
  5. The Miracle Worker
  6. The Manchurian Candidate
  7. Premature Burial
  8. Sweet Bird of Youth
  9. Girls! Girls! Girls! (Elvis Presley)
  10. Days of Wine and Roses
And I have only seen 2 of these! (3, 5)

Notable Books
  1. Lilies of the Field by William Barrett
  2. Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
  3. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
  4. The Mirror Crack'd by Agatha Christie
  5. The Spy Who Loved Me by Ian Fleming
  6. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
  7. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
  8. The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing
  9. Ship of Fools by Katherine Anne Porter
  10. One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
  11. Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut
  12. Day by Elie Wiesel
  13. Sex and the Single Girl by Helen Gurley Brown
  14. Silent Spring by Rachel Carson
  15. Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck (he won the Nobel Prize for Lit this year too)
  16. Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman
  17. The Thin Red Line by James Jones
  18. Capitalism and Freedom by Milton Friedman
  19. We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
  20. The Ipcress File by Len Deighton
I have read only 3 of theses! (3, 7, 10) Most of the fiction titles have been made into movies.

I already did a list of some of those born in 1962. Here's a few who passed away:

Gone for 50 Years
  1. Clara Blandick ("Auntie Em")
  2. Ernie Kovacs
  3. Lucky Luciano (guess they won't be killing him off on "Boardwalk Empire" anytime soon)
  4. William Faulkner
  5. Herman Hesse
  6. e.e. cummings
  7. Eleanor Roosevelt
  8. Thomas Mitchell (Scarlett O'Hara's dad, among many other roles)
  9. Tod Browning (directed "Dracula" and "Freaks" and many others)
  10. Marilyn Monroe
#1 Songs
  1. "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" by The Tokens
  2. "The Twist" by Chubby Checker
  3. "Peppermint Twist" by Joey Dee & the Starliters
  4. "Duke of Earl" by Gene Chandler
  5. "Hey! Baby" by Bruce Channel
  6. "Don't Break the Heart That Loves You" by Connie Francis
  7. "Johnny Angel" by Shelley Fabares
  8. "Good Luck Charm" by Elvis Presley
  9. "Soldier Boy" by The Shirelles
  10. "Stranger on the Shore" by Mr. Acker Bilk
  11. "I Can't Stop Loving You" by Ray Charles
  12. "The Stripper" by David Rose
  13. "Roses are Red (My Love)" by Bobby Vinton
  14. "Breaking Up is Hard to Do" by Neil Sedaka
  15. "The Loco-Motion" by Little Eva
  16. "Sheila" by Tommy Roe
  17. "Sherry" by The Four Seasons
  18. "Monster Mash" by Bobby "Boris" Pickett
  19. "He's a Rebel" by The Crystals
  20. "Big Girls Don't Cry" by The Four Seasons
  21. "Telstar" by The Tornados
"Duke of Earl" was the #1 song the week I was born. I used to hate it (my brother got "I Want to Hold Your Hand" by The Beatles!) but now I am fond of it. And thus I know the answer to a Trivial Pursuit question: What can stop the Duke of Earl?

Just looking at a couple of the titles (5, 10, 16, 21) I can't place the songs but I went and listened on iTunes and they were all familiar when I heard a snippet, especially "Telstar".

Television Top Three Shows
1961-1962 Season
  1. "Wagon Train"
  2. "Bonanza"
  3. "Gunsmoke"
Obviously Westerns were very popular in those days! I only watched "Gunsmoke" but that's because it ran until 1975!

1962-1963 Season
  1. "The Beverly Hillbillies"
  2. "Candid Camera"
  3. "The Red Skelton Show"
And here comes the most famous rural comedy! All three of these shows were still on years later so I remember watching all of them and catching "Hillbillies" in syndication after school. I never really liked "Candid Camera" though.

Random 1962 Facts
  1. First K-Mart opened
  2. First Wal-Mart opened
  3. The term "personal computer" is used for the first time
  4. Cuban Missile Crisis
  5. John Glenn orbited Earth in Friendship 7
  6. Richard Nixon said, "You don't have Nixon to kick around any more."
  7. The Rolling Stones formed
  8. Ringo Starr replaced Pete Best in The Beatles
  9. The Incredible Hulk debuted
  10. Spider-Man debuted
  11. Johnny Carson began hosting the "Tonight Show"
  12. Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points in an NBA game
  13. Walter Cronkite began anchoring the "CBS Evening News"
  14. Countries granted independence
    1. Algeria
    2. Burundi
    3. Rwanda
    4. Uganda
    5. Jamaica
    6. Trinidad & Tobago
    7. Samoa
And CPA Boy would like to point out that we saw another concert a couple of years ago: Deborah Harry & Blondie, also at the Wells Fargo Center. I am missing ticket stubs! Grrr.

And this is my last post as a 40-something. Double grrr. :-)

4 comments:

  1. And Kelly J. K. S. was born! A very good year indeed.

    Happy birthday, honeybunny! I am very glad you were born.

    I hope your presents got there and that you like them! Please note all the red, pink, and black -- I had a brainstorm and retrieved my Christmas wrap. Only for you...

    I'll try to lift my head from the fires of Hell Week and call you today. Can't wait to hear your fun plans!

    xox your besty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her plans involve her husband...or boyfriend. I love Kelly! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And a very happy birthday from an old(er) college friend! Hope it's been a good one. My gift to you is my complete lack of platitudes or pithy sayings from my advanced perspective. Happy Birthday! J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, I'm going to cave to a pithy saying, since it came to me in the shower this morning...we always feel old, except in retrospect.

    How's that? And google Wendy Artz...I think she in Alaska with the National Park Service. I ran in to Jihn (of Wendy and John) on my 40th birthday, going kayaking. John was running the kayak shop in Moss Landing.

    J.

    ReplyDelete