Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Concerts and Other Events

I am not a big concert goer. But I have seen a handful of some favorite artists. Plus a few sporting events, some plays, and other performances. The best part is comparing prices! Here I go with another list!


  • Grad Night - Disney World, Florida - May 16, 1980
    • I got to see a concert by KC and the Sunshine Band and Kool and the Gang. 
    • I have absolutely NO memory of going on any rides. I was wearing a dress, mandated by the Disney dress code, and it probably wasn't too easy to get in and out of anything in a ladylike fashion. (No pun intended.) And it was so crowded! I only remember the Hall of Presidents and walking around a LOT. I don't even remember WHO I walked around with! I didn't really make friends that year so no doubt I latched on to some acquaintances.
    • As for cost, I found a website that said Grad Nite 1978 cost $9 and 1981 cost $11! I have to assume that in 1980 it cost about $10 although I think the trip cost about $50 total (including the bus ride from Louisiana to Florida and back, a couple of fast food meals and the hotel rooms in which we changed from casual to dressy clothes). General admission for an adult to Disney World that year was $8 and the famous A to E tickets had been retired.
    • So $10


  • Earth Wind and Fire - Oakland Coliseum Arena - December 30, 1981
    • Went with my friend Danny. He drove his brother's (?) fancy sports car (I want to say Lamborghini, maybe?).
    • I LOVE this group. I consider this to be my REAL first concert.
    • The next day I spent New Year's Eve in Chico with Lady Chardonnay and our friend Lisa. I think Danny took me to Lisa's house after the concert (he lived in Richmond and she lived in Pinole so it wasn't terribly far out of the way) and I spent the night with her and then we took the Greyhound bus to Chico the next day. Lady C and I went to a Chico State basketball game, not because we cared about basketball, but because they were playing the UCSC Slugs! UCSC was NOT known for its sports prowess so we sat and cheered under our breath for our school even though they lost!
    •  $12.50

  • Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey Circus - Oakland Coliseum Arena - August 27, 1987
    • I had transferred to SFSU by this point so I took BART and met my UCSC friends Wendy and John (I've lost touch with both of them unfortunately).
    • I'm sure I went to the circus as a kid so this was probably my second time (and last so far). Somehow we never got around to taking The Boy to the circus although, because of some special promotion in 1993, I have two free tickets for any performance of this circus.
    • $8.50 (plus BART fare!)

  • Day on the Green - Oakland Coliseum - September 10, 1983
    • Met up with Kurt, Natalie and a couple of other acquaintances.
    • It was VERY warm, typical of September in the Bay Area, and crowded. While the early bands (which also included Oingo Boingo) played everyone was content to sit on their blankets and listen. When the Police started playing everyone stood up and moved closer to the stage.
    • After the concert I left with Kurt via BART. It took a really long time to get to the station platform, maybe an hour? The trains were PACKED.
    • $17.50 (plus BART fare!)
  • Elvis Costello - Greek Theater, Berkeley - September 23, 1983
    • Went with Kurt. 
    • I enjoyed this concert but didn't know much of the music at that time. NOW I do and wish I could see him again! I listen to Elvis Costello all the time now.
    • $12.50, very reasonable!

  • Louisiana World Exposition - New Orleans - August 15, 1984
    • My cousin Billie and her daughter Kimberly took me to the fair while I was in town on vacation.
    • The day we went was Australia Day so I got to see a performance by several Aussies: Andy Gibb, Peter Allen (entertainer once married to Liza Minnelli and played to great acclaim on Broadway by Hugh Jackman), and Rolf Harris (famous for "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport").
    • I bought a jar of vegemite but never opened it. I also got to see the Space Shuttle Enterprise which was on display.
    • We also went on a paddle wheel boat for a tour up the Mississippi River that evening. It was wonderfully refreshing in the hot August night. I have another picture of me in front of the boat but it's blurry so you get alligators instead!
    • $15

  • Mummenschanz - Zellerbach Hall, Berkeley - January 25, 1985
    • I went to this show with Danny who was a Cal student at the time. 
    • It was AMAZING! They are a pantomime troupe that does...I don't even know how to describe it! There was little or no music but their movements and props told the sweetest stories.
    • My ticket stub is torn in half so I have no idea how much it cost since they kept the piece with the price!

  • Neil Diamond - Cow Palace, San Francisco - March 13, 1985
    • My friends Terry and Mike took me as a birthday gift. (Hey! When will I get THIS year's gift?! Ha!)
    • This was the ONLY time I ever went to the Cow Palace. Weird since I've lived in the Bay Area all my adult life. It seems I should have gone more often somehow.
    • $17.50
  • Creation Convention - Holiday Inn, San Francisco - November 16, 1985
    • Went with my 15-year-old brother K2. The special guest was DeForest Kelley.
    • I used to see notices for these kind of conventions all the time, back when the main focus was Star Trek, Star Wars and comic books. Now conventions cover so much more.
    • Sometime in the early 90s ("Star Trek; The Next Generation" was in the midst of its run) CPA Boy and I went to a convention in Santa Rosa (at the El Rancho Tropicana, now a shopping center with a Costco) featuring Michael Dorn -- WORF! 
      • People asked such STUPID questions! 
      • Stupid questioner #1: When will we see Worf's son Alexander again?
      • Michael Dorn: I don't know. I'd love to see him come back but that's up to the writers.
      • SQ#2: When will Worf get his honor back?
      • MD: I don't know, that's up to the writers.
      • SQ#3: I have a 2-part question: will we see Alexander again and will Worf get his honor back?
      • Seriously people, do you NOT understand how TV shows work? Guh.
    • $12.50

  • A Chorus Line - Golden Gate Theatre, San Francisco - April 12, 1986
    • Went with Danny and a couple of his friends.
    • I did not know this at the time but the actor who played Zach, the director, was Scooter McTeague! Who is that, many of you are asking. (I bet Lady C knows!) He played Big Deal in "West Side Story" and Bud Frump in "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying" (the movie versions of each). Sadly, he died of cancer at age 49, just a few years after I saw this play. 
    • Don't have the ticket stub or price!

  • Patrick Stewart, "A Christmas Carol" - Luther Burbank Center, Santa Rosa - November 27, 1992
    • The Luther Burbank Center, now called The Wells Fargo Center, is a great place to see things in Sonoma County. CPA Boy and I have seen a local production of "Brigadoon" here as well as just missing the wedding of a friend: they started on time and had a five-minute ceremony. We were late by five minutes. Whoops.
    • Patrick Stewart was absolutely wonderful in this. He acted out every role with very few props.
    • $32.50

  • Bob Newhart - Luther Burbank Center - September 17, 1994
    • One of CPA Boy's favorites, Mr. Newhart performed some of his classic telephone routines. He also has more of a potty mouth on stage!
    • $34.00
  • Weird Al Yankovic - Sonoma-Marin Fair, Petaluma - June 21, 1997
    • Al performed as part of the fair's entertainment. He was great which is why his name will come up again on this list later.
    • CPA Boy and I attended without our 3-year-old son. We made it up to him about 14 years later.
    • $7.00 (fair admission)

  • Carol Burnett - Luther Burbank Center - October 30, 1997
    • I went by myself. I've always admired Carol Burnett. She told many stories and then answered several questions. Luckily people weren't as stupid as at Star Trek conventions.
    • $40.00

  • The Mommies - Luther Burbank Center - July 11, 1998
    • I went with my sister-in-law Jill. We had gone to the book signing earlier that day too.
    • The Mommies were a comedy group that started here in Petaluma. They eventually had a sitcom, a talk show and several commercials. They no longer perform though, having moved on from Petaluma and comedy.
    • $19.50 (plus the cost of the book purchased earlier that day!)
  • Wayne Brady -  Luther Burbank Center - April 5, 2001
    • CPA Boy and I enjoyed Wayne Brady on "Whose Line is It Anyway?" so we decided to see his show. I don't know who the friends were but the show was funny and entertaining, like a live version of "Whose Line".
    • $30.00
  • The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee - Post Street Theatre, San Francisco - March 25, 2006
    • CPA Boy and I had fun driving in SF, where the GPS wanted us to take an alley in order to get to the parking lot. Luckily we did not fall for that.
    • The play was hilarious. I would go see it again if it ever plays in revival. We had spelling bee experience as parents so we could really relate to it in our way.
    • I seem to have no ticket stub (or price) which is hard to believe when I KEEP EVERY OTHER FRICKING THING!

  • The Police - Oakland Coliseum - June 13, 2007
    • Oh excuse me, the McAfee Coliseum. Who can keep these things straight anymore? (CPA Boy and The Boy can!)
    • Notice that the ticket is now a computer printed one.
    • I smelled more pot at this concert than at the one in 1983. I'm pretty sure everyone had a contact high.
    • $90.00 (the record high price 'cause I guess Sting isn't rich enough yet)

  • Barry Manilow - HP Pavilion, San Jose - February 15, 2008
    • An early birthday present from my hubby. I have been a fan (or "Fanilow" as they said on "Will & Grace") since I was a teenager.
    • I loved the show but I would be happier if Barry just sat at the piano and sang without the distraction of dancers and all that. I guess we need to get our money's worth....
    • $79.00 ('cause Barry ain't as rich as Sting yet)
  • Weird Al Yankovic - Wells Fargo Center, Santa Rosa - November 7, 2011
    • We took The Boy this time. Weird Al was great. I seriously think the man is a musical genius. He can sing ANY style.
    • $52.50
  • And now for some sporting events!
  •  Oakland A's vs Toronto Blue Jays - Oakland Coliseum - May 24, 1981
    • My very first professional baseball game! And it was a doubleheader!
      • There were SEVEN doubleheaders in 1981. After a quick look at the 2012 schedule I see...ZERO. Big overpaid babies.
      • The A's won both games: 6-5 and 5-0.
    • Danny, Kurt and I went to these games together, sitting in the bleachers. In those days the bleachers were just that: bleachers (now there are individual seats just like the rest of the park). It was kind of uncomfortable because there was no backrest and we were there for HOURS.
    • I have since now gone to many A's games as CPA Boy is a HUGE baseball fan.
    • $2.00! (CPA Boy's Oakland A's season tickets -- for better seats naturally -- are MUCH more expensive!)

  • San Francisco Giants vs Los Angeles Dodgers - Candlestick Park - April 24, 1985
    • I have no idea who I went with to this game! In any case, this was my first baseball game at Candlestick Park.
    • The final score: Giants 2, Dodgers 4
    • $5.00

  • Boston Red Sox vs Detroit Tigers - Fenway Park - September 13, 1992
    • While visiting Lady Chardonnay (her man was in Iceland at the time!) we made a point of going to Fenway Park, if only to say that I had been there. We did not stay for more than 3 innings and went to a bookstore instead.
    • $7.00

  • New Orleans Saints vs Los Angeles Rams - Superdome - October 7, 1979
    • My grandfather had season's tickets for the Saints starting in 1979 and probably through 1992, the year he died. He hardly ever went to the games in his later years.
      • The seats were great, in the back rows of the first section around the 30 yard line. There were two seats in one row and two seats directly behind.
    • He and my dad (and probably my uncles) went to Superbowl IV in 1970 although that one was at Tulane Stadium (the Superdome wasn't ready until 1975).
      • They were also at the game were Tom Dempsey kicked his record-setting field goal. My uncle had already left, disgusted that the Saints were going to lose. As he walked away from Tulane Stadium a huge cheer went up: he had missed it! My dad said that this was the only time he and his father-in-law ever hugged!
    • The Saints lost this game: 17-35
  • New Orleans Saints vs San Francisco 49ers - Candlestick Park - September 29, 1985
    •  My Uncle Owen brought my grandfather to California to visit my parents and he got tickets in the Saints' section at Candlestick. I got to go as my dad didn't want to and I was living in San Francisco. They were not good seats, being in the end zone.
    • The Saints won, 20-17, and the 49ers fans were PISSED. Haha!
    • $20.00
  • New Orleans Saints vs Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Superdome - October 19, 1986
    • Went with my cousin Willy, my Uncle Bill and his friend Perry.
    • Saints won, 38-7. Tampa was AWFUL in those days.
    • $16.00

  • New Orleans Saints vs Atlanta Falcons - Superdome - August 11, 1984
    • A preseason game that the Saints won, 31-21. Any win over Atlanta is good!
    • Went with my cousins.
    • $14.00

  • Tulane University vs Georgia Tech - Superdome - October 27, 1979
    • Went with my Uncle Owen and probably my dad and brother.
    • Georgia Tech had a terrible team that year. They lost, 12-7.
    • These seats were WAY up in the nosebleed area of the Superdome. Quite a change from my grandfather's great seats for the Saints.
    •  $???
There are a few things I'm missing but if I can't remember them then they don't matter!

Okay, thus wraps up another installment of "let's bore my family and friends"!


1 comment:

  1. Blondie at WFC. The two most important A's games, the one I went with Jeff and you went with a BoP employee and the game that postponed our wedding!

    ReplyDelete