Monday, May 21, 2012

Bye-bye Dr. House!

Another one of my favorite TV programs wraps up tonight, "House".

CPA Boy and I were trying to figure out WHY we started watching the show 8 years ago. Had we seen Hugh Laurie on "Blackadder" by then? Was it because Entertainment Weekly actually included a DVD of the pilot episode in an issue that came out before it aired? Was it because of Robert Sean Leonard who had a role in one of our favorite movies, "Much Ado About Nothing"?

In any case we watched the pilot on the DVD and loved it. Then once we started watching we started familiarizing ourselves with the past work of Hugh Laurie, mainly in "Blackadder" and "Jeeves and Wooster." It turns out we had seen him in other things too, like "Sense & Sensibility" where he played a remarkably House-like character, albeit in his native British accent (I was blinded to his presence by one of the other Hughs: Grant). He was also in a "Friends" episode, where Rachel is flying to London to tell Ross she loves him. Hugh played Rachel's seatmate on the plane and he was hilariously dismissive of her saying, "You are a horrible, horrible person...and by the way, it seems perfectly clear that you WERE on a break."

I have read the comments on "House" over the years. In the early years the comments were mainly, "We hate [Jennifer Morrison's character] Cameron." Hate, hate, hate. Then her character was mainly written out and the comments changed to "We miss Cameron. Bring her back!" Then Olivia Wilde came on as Thirteen and the response was "We hate Thirteen!" And once Olivia Wilde left  comments changed to "We miss Thirteen!" Granted, the comments were probably left by separate factions. And when people dislike something they tend to override the positive comments. One good reason to ignore comments in general.

I liked all the characters fine. Not every storyline was my favorite but overall I enjoyed the entire series and it has always been a show we watch in real time, even in the days of weekly boy scout meetings on Tuesday nights and "House" was on at 9 (meetings ended around 8:45 so we'd get home just in time).

The episodes I remember best are "Three Stories" from the first season and the two episodes "House's Head" and "Wilson's Heart" featuring a bus crash and the fate of Amber.

The other programs I watch: Dancing with the Stars, Survivor, CSI, The Middle, Suburgatory, Modern Family, Cougar Town, Community, 30 Rock, Mad Men, Once Upon a Time, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Game of Thrones, Girls, Veep, and American Horror Story.

In other news, CPA Boy is back from his annual business trip to the East Coast. He also managed to make it to the Yankees game (last year it was rained out). My souvenir is a New York Yankees rubber duck. It's very cute! I have a small plastic helmet from The Philadelphia Phillies, a small fan from the Arizona Diamondbacks (a gizmo where you push a button and air blows on your face, not a child taken from the stadium) and miscellaneous items from the Oakland Athletics.

FYI, the fan looks like this except it's red and says "Arizona Diamondbacks" on the side and instead of colorful lights it reads "Go Diamondbacks!" 
 
I may have a couple of other things from The Washington Nationals and the Baltimore Orioles but I am either forgetting what they were or I didn't get anything.


I always point out that when Mr. Lady Chardonnay visits presidential libraries (it's part of his job as a political scientist or it's his hobby, I'm unsure which) he always brings back a presidential gift for Lady Chardonnay. I will need to make an inventory to see what's missing from my baseball souvenirs. I may need to start accompanying CPA Boy on these trips and buy my own souvenirs! It's amazing how one's travel outlook changes when you no longer need to plan your life around the school calendar because your child is all grown up! More or less...

[Speaking of Mr. Lady C and Lady C, a big shout out for thinking of me and Leslie Howard!]

Yesterday we got to witness an eclipse which was pretty neat. It started around 5:30 p.m. and was over by 7:30. It looks so eerie when the sunlight is muted. It wasn't a total eclipse with complete darkness. The moon covered about 85% of the sun and we lucked out with clear skies. The fog didn't start coming in until later.

And this week the music world lost two greats: Donna Summer and Robin Gibb. Stupid cancer.
 
I have many Bee Gees songs on my iPod but I don't seem to have any Donna Summer so I will need to get some. I really loved several of her songs. And the Bee Gees, so sad that three of the brothers died too soon. I got to see Andy Gibb perform in 1984 but I never got to see the Bee Gees.

My son and his girlfriend are downstairs giggling. It's so cute. And that's a nicer, happier note to end this post on...

No comments:

Post a Comment