Monday, June 25, 2012

Life's Unexpected Curves

The phone rang at 6:10 Sunday morning. It was Pops calling from the hospital. He had felt pain all day Saturday and around 2 a.m. he had driven himself to the hospital. Turns out His appendix had burst and he was going into emergency surgery. Yikes! I had been up until 1 a.m. reading and I regretted this fact by 6:15 a.m.

So we got up and drove to Pop's house so we could get the car keys. Then we drove to the hospital so CPA Boy could drive Pop's car home. I followed in my car so we could drive back to the hospital together.

Pops is fine and the surgery went well. He is staying for a couple of days, I assume because they need to make sure he doesn't have/develop peritonitis.

But I find that it is emotionally difficult to be hanging around the same spots as last year when we lost Mom. It's weird the things that resonate. For instance, I still can't bring myself to continue reading the book I had with me at the hospital last year. It is a biography of Mary Todd Lincoln that I had long been looking forward to but it will need to wait a while longer before I tackle it again.

Which is kind of stupid. It's just a book. But that's the way my mind works.

And you can't help seeing the various hospital rooms that we spent time in last May with a shiver of distaste. Pops "recovered" in ICU, not because he needed critical care but because they typically use one of the ICU beds for that purpose. And there across the room you can see the smaller ICU patient rooms. My eye kept going to the one Mom was in on the last day.

Ugh, go away morbid thoughts!

Pops should make a complete recovery. The anesthesiologist told him he was in great shape for his age which is true; people always think he's younger than his age. Plus Pops had charmed the emergency room staff, including the security guard who came over to tell me how they shared stories about $2 bills (Pops has one in his wallet and it came to light because they inventory your possessions when they put them in the hospital safe).

Now I just need to get him to let me do things for him, like cook, clean, shop and so forth. The man drove himself to the hospital because he didn't want to bother us! It will be difficult to get him to let me make him some dinner!

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! Please give your dad a hug and kiss for me. And then explain to him that you are now the matriarch of the family (!!) and therefore the boss, and he needs to sit back and let you boss him for a bit. That should do it. :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete