Monday, December 10, 2012

Tree Shopping, Opera and Other Things

The Boy with his cousins KK and AK with AS on the right kicking a stump
On Saturday we went Christmas tree shopping with the Smith side of the family. My mother- and father-in-law have been tree shopping since 1963 (the year before they got married) so this is a LONG Smith Family tradition.

The younger members of the family generally kick stumps and help with cutting the tree. The place we generally go has been less thickly forested with trees so I am not sure that it will be open for much longer. It used to be a family-owned tree farm but now a fire station owns it. They sold trees to finance the new station --- which is now built --- so we think they are just selling off the remainder trees before quitting altogether. But one thing Sonoma County has a lot of are Christmas tree farms so we may need to try other farms next year.
The Boy brought The Girl so everyone got to meet her. They have been going together for almost a year now. 
I think this is a cute picture of me and CPA Boy!
Next weekend I am going to see an opera at the movie theater in San Rafael. They simulcast the performance from the Metropolitan Opera in New York City. I have NEVER seen an opera before!

The opera is "Aida" by Verdi. I really like his work whenever I hear it so I figured I'd start with  him. The show starts at 9:55 a.m. so I assume we will be seeing the matinee performance as it happens in NYC. More about this next week.

I have a writing project I want to work on so I will be playing with that this afternoon. It's something I already have most of the pieces of and they just need some expanding and illustrating. But there are a LOT of pieces and I am still not sure how to format the whole thing. I'll write more about this when I have finally made a dent in it.

In preparation for my project I was reading about some different types of software that writers use. One is called Scrivener which seemed intriguing. Then there are several different programs to write screenplays. I will just be using Microsoft Word for the time being.

I am also intrigued by the possibilities of self-publishing. Amazon, for example, seems to make it really easy to publish anything. But first one needs to write something worth publishing! (This particular project is not it though. Maybe the next one...)

1 comment:

  1. Look at Bookshop Santa Cruz for self-publishing, too. There's this big honking machine there that does it, I think. J.

    Grand pictures!

    ReplyDelete