Sunday, February 24, 2013

Happy Birthday Abe!

Today is my 51st birthday. Not sure how I zoomed through my 20s, 30s and 40s so fast but what can one do?

My husband bought me a cake from our local grocery store. They have the yummiest frosting! He had it personalized too! Apparently he needed to spell "Abe" for the bakery employee.

The fact that I share my birthday with Abe Vigoda is an old joke among family and friends though not as old as Mr. Vigoda!

In honor of my birthday I will now catalog my aches, pains and other health issues. This must be done so that when I am 60 or 61 I can look back and see how good I had it in my early 50s, even if it doesn't always feel that way some days.

1) I have a spot just below my left knee that hurts like crazy whenever I get up from sitting on the floor. It doesn't hurt when I walk so I am ignoring it for now. If it gets worse or never seems to get better then I will see my doctor.

2) I have a ganglion cyst on my left pinkie finger's first joint, just below the scar from when I cut my finger in September 2011. First step towards "old lady hands" and I am NOT happy about it!

3) My hair is mostly white (I think) but I color it dark brown. My eyebrows are starting to follow suit.

4) My female issues have abated greatly since I had surgery in 2010 to remove fibroid tumors, ovarian cysts and uterine polyps --- a triple whammy! I still haven't hit menopause yet but I am pretty confident that my child-bearing years are over. The child-bearing hips however....

5) I am still about 60 pounds overweight. I am working on this issue but not tonight. See above re: chocolate cake with chocolate frosting.

6) In the last week I have had some stomach issue meaning that every time I ate I would suffer about 4-5 hours of intense stomach cramping. Thanks to some over the counter Gas-X (ain't getting older great?!) my symptoms seem to have receded. Or I have something like Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Or I just ate something bad that won't leave my system. Maybe I have a tapeworm!

7) I still have a small patch of nail fungus on my toe, mostly because I have not yet tried the suggested cure of hydrogen peroxide soaks and Vicks Vapo-Rub rubs.

Now that I look at this list I don't think I'm really doing too bad! And many of these things are easily cured!

Now I'm off to watch the Oscars! Happy Birthday, Abe Vigoda!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kell, I thought of you today when I realized what day it is....Happy happy birthday. I'm so glad you blogged today so I could send you greetings on the actual day.

    Just think...you are now 3 times as old as you were at 17...think of how your life has changed between 17, 34, and 51...I am the same, except my multiplier is 18. Young and foolish, young mother working hard, now older, grayer, and definitely wiser; heavier but realizing the benefits of exercise and eating light more than ever.

    There's an adage I heard last year -- you always feel old, except in retrospect -- so I love the idea of cataloging aches and pains so we see that they aren't so bad as they might be. (I have similar gastric issues...wonder what gives?) Thank goodness for ibuprofen is all I can say.

    Again, happy birthday and I hope you got to enjoy the Oscars and the cake with equal flourish!

    Love J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi honeybunny! The knee pain is arthritis -- I have the exact same thing only on the right leg. Remember how I always used to sit cross-legged (Indian style, the style of my people)? Can't do it any more for longer than a minute. And I now have a Cruella DeVille streak to the right of my part, so I'm hitting the dye pots ASAP. Aging is so freaking elegant.

    I hope your birthday was full of wonderful things and that box #2 is in your hands as we speak!!

    ReplyDelete