Thursday, February 21, 2013

Mother of the Slob

Yeah, what's a blog for if not to show the world our embarrassing closet skeletons, right?

The Boy has no problem living with his room like this. I do and it drives me CRAZY. I offered to help him clean it up and this is what he said: "Why does it bother you so much? My door is closed most of the time."

At least you can see some of the carpet!

And he is an adult who pays rent to live here so, unlike when he was a minor, I can't really just go in and clean it up myself. We have a list of "tenant rules" and one of them is to clean the room and bathroom monthly but The Boy just ignores it. (See above re: "my door is closed" excuse.)

The dresser is mainly empty since the floor is easier to use!
It bothers me because while I will let messy piles build up (I hate putting things away) I will not let them go past a certain point and then I CLEAN UP. The messy piles mainly tend to be magazines that need to be read or piles of junky mail that need to be opened and sorted --- some goes into the garbage, some into the recycling, some into the shredder can and the rest goes into a new pile in my office.

My books get messy on the floor around the "to-be-read" bookshelf in my bedroom (I receive books in the mail via Paperback Swap all the time and I get three or more books at the library every week) and I neaten that up about once a month.

I do laundry every two weeks and we have enough hampers to hold all of it. I have never been someone who does laundry on a daily basis. I would rather get it all done in one or two days than have laundry as a chore every day.

My mom used to do 4 or 5 loads of laundry every day when we were growing up: whites, darks, colors and towels. We did not wear something more than once, we didn't use a towel more than once and there were five of us. My brothers and I attended Catholic schools for many years so we generally wore three outfits a day: school uniforms, afternoon play clothes and pajamas.

But now we do tend to wear many of our clothing items more than once and we don't change towels every day though CPA Boy changes clothes several times a day: clothes he wears to the gym for swimming (sweats and t-shirts), his work clothes and his lounging/sleep clothes. It works out to about 6 loads every two weeks and two towel loads every 4 or 5 weeks. Not too bad.

Yesterday though I had finally had enough and I forced my help on The Boy. We threw away about two garbage bags of stuff and washed 5 loads of laundry (today he's working on a couple more loads to wash the bedclothes). There are two garbage cans in his room, one for trash and one for recycling. My son, for whatever reason, seems to prefer flinging things onto the floor! His room is about 10 feet square and I had to ask, "Is the garbage can too far away?!"

I may have a few messy piles but I do not throw my garbage on the floor!

I will try to get some "after" pictures later. Until then, enjoy one of the skeletons in our closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment