Thursday, March 14, 2013

Drugs and Alcohol (and other things)

I am taking my 2 week course of antibiotics after the pharmacy and my doctor finally worked out the treatment plan to cure the H. pylori infection. I am now taking 4 pills in the morning, 2 in the afternoon and 4 at night. Along with the other 4 I take for various other issues (blood pressure, thyroid and allergies).

I LOATHE taking pills, especially big ones. Ironically, the side effects for all four of the drugs include nausea. Sadly I am experiencing that one three times a day. Ugh.

Another side effect is a "metallic taste" which I also am experiencing. Bleah, bleah, bleah.

One thing I need to avoid while taking one of the medications is alcohol. Now I am not much of a drinker, having about 2 or 3 drinks a year if that. But you know how as soon as someone tells you you can't do something? That's how I feel! Bring on the booze! I am also supposed to avoid any form of alcohol including perfume or cologne. I'll somehow try to manage. :)

Meanwhile I have been using an app from Ancestry.com and filling in the family tree. It is so much easier on the computer because you don't need to cram a bunch of names on a big piece of paper. Ancestry makes you pay a fee to actually look at the records but they give enough of a a peek that I am able to glean quite a bit of information. Once I have done all I can I may need to pay that fee to get the rest of the data.

One of CPA Boy's great-great grandfathers was born in Switzerland. We don't know if that means Swiss or German ancestry though.

I have a lot of my family information to plug in. My mom had done quite a bit of genealogy already. I just need to enter it into the app.

What's crazy is that you end up with so many unanswered questions. Swiss or German? Not sure. Why did people emigrate to the United States?

And another example: One of the sisters of CPA Boy's paternal great-grandfather apparently always lived with her parents. She was one of 8 children. Did she never get an opportunity to marry? Did she feel she needed to stay with her parents? Or??? I don't think we'll ever know because all those people are long gone.

There's a story I learned somewhere along the way in my scrapbook adventures:

  • "How many people here can tell me something about your parents? Raise your hand if the answer is yes."
    • Almost everyone will raise their hand.
  • "How many can tell me something about their grandparents?"
    • Still a majority of hands raised.
  • "How many can tell me something about their great-grandparents?"
    • Very few hands raise.
  • "How many can tell me something about their great-grandparents?"
    • No one raises their hand.
People are forgotten after just 3 or 4 generations! So sad! My mom had this photo of a couple with their 6 children taken sometime in the late 1800s. We don't know who they are! (Anyone recognize them??) We assume they are relatives. Someday that photo will probably be tossed out because there will be no point in keeping a photo of unknown people. (You can see my mom's question mark in the upper left corner.)

I have been working on a vacation scrapbook including all the trips we made as a family from 1999 through 2008. I have finished 4 trips and have about 4 to go.

The picture at the top of this post is from our trip to Disneyland when The Boy was 8. (The scrapbook layout features pictures from Downtown Disney --- the Lego Store --- and some of our meals during the trip.) I know many people take their children to Disneyland when they are toddlers but we chose not to do that. And I think that was the right decision for us.

When I showed The Boy pictures from a private event at the Monterey Bay Aquarium (a trip taken when I attended a banking conference and brought the boys along) I asked him if he remembered it. He said, "Not really." He was 6 at the time.

He definitely remembers his first trip to Disneyland when he was 8! (I was 12 the first time I went during the first time I moved to California. Yes, I moved to California twice, at 12 and 18.) I did not like the idea of spending money for a trip he wouldn't remember so we waited.

But man, so many people made us feel like ogreish parents for not taking our son to Disneyland sooner!

The Boys are at a hockey game in San Jose tonight so I'm off to park myself in front of the TV for a new episode of "Community" and the Greer Garson/Ronald Colman movie "Random Harvest". An interesting double feature to be sure!

PS: Spell check wants me to change the spelling of "Monterey" to "Monterrey". Lame. The one in Mexico has two R's but the one in California has only one. Guh.

No comments:

Post a Comment