Wednesday, April 10, 2013

(Anti-) Social Networks

There are so many social networks these days. I belong to some of them but I don't think I really get much use out of most of them.

I belong to these networks:

Facebook: Once you have an account you can connect to other people you know. Search their name and send a friend request. Facebook uses "status updates" where you can post any comment, picture, video or link to another website. You can update your status never, rarely, daily or every minute. I am a rare status updater, maybe once every other month. Some of the people I connect to post several times a day. Everyone does what works for them.

One issue I have with Facebook is this: to do certain things on the site you need to "allow" the third party apps access to your info. I don't allow any other apps because I think many of them tend to be spam generators.  The birthday app is especially insidious. In other words, you may receive a birthday greeting from someone who used the birthday app and it then accesses all of your friends' information and starts sending birthday greetings on your behalf. And so on.

Twitter: Once you belong to Twitter you can "tweet" thoughts and comments up to 140 characters. You can also follow other tweeters. I really think this is a platform tailor made for people who have smart phones (I do not have one).

I could use Twitter to do things like ask celebrities questions or vote for my favorite couple on Dancing with the Stars. I have no real desire to ask anyone anything and while I do vote for DWTS I just go to the ABC website to do it. And I don't know anyone personally who tweets so there's no one to read my comments if I make any! I mainly use it to follow a handful of celebs. Overall it's not my thing.

Pinterest: This is a virtual bulletin board. If you are browsing the Internet and come across something you want to buy or make you can "pin" it. That way you don't need to remember every website you visit. Say you find a really great recipe on a blog. Instead of bookmarking the blog or trying to find it again later you just pin it to your recipes board on your Pinterest account. Now all of your recipes will be in the same place.

But for some people Pinterest is so much more. You can just pin pretty pictures if you want. I used it briefly for a few food items and some things I wanted to purchase. I can see the appeal but I just wasn't interested in pinning things. If I see a recipe I like I print it out and put it into my recipe binder in the kitchen!

Google+: Another site like Facebook but I don't use it. My account exists but I rarely look at it.

(Can you see that the Internet is wasted on me?!)

Blogger: The website I use for blogging purposes. (Other blogging site include Blogspot and Live Journal.)


There are so many more I don't use!

Linkedin is a business networking site. Since I don't work in the corporate world anymore there is no need for me to be a part of it (CPA Boy probably belongs to it). Some woman named Kim Gordon keeps sending me a request to join her network but I think it's spam so I just delete her e-mails.

Instagram looks pretty interesting. This is another one where a smart phone would be necessary. Apparently you take pictures with your phone's camera and upload them to Instagram via an app. I might seriously consider using this if I ever get a smart phone.

Flickr and Tumblr are two sites that apparently eschew the letter E. Flickr appears to be an image-hosting site for bloggers. Tumblr is a microblogging site that seems to feature mainly images and short videos.

Foursquare and GetGlue are "check-in" based sites. With Foursquare you are basically letting everyone know your location ("Bob checked in at Applebee's!") and earn points (sorry, I don't care enough to look up what the points are good for!). GetGlue is used to let people know what entertainment you are watching ("Bob watched The Walking Dead!") and you earn virtual stickers when you watch certain programs.

But even though I belong to a few social networks I still like to keep most aspects of my life private. If you really use social networks to the fullest you have to willingly give up so much of your privacy!

I am satisfied with my current level of engagement.

No comments:

Post a Comment