Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Time Flies

Whoops, I can't believe a month has passed since my last post! We had Thanksgiving, a CPA Boy health crisis involving an emergency room visit (he's fine), the start of Christmas shopping, doctor appointments, seeing a musical, and everything else in the usual run of life (laundry, making dinner, watching TV, etc...).

To catch up, here we go!

The health insurance bill denied by Blue Cross was finally paid once they got more information from the hospital. Yay!

As I said, CPA Boy is fine but we are still on a trek to find out exactly what disease or syndrome he has. This involved a new doctor in San Francisco at a place called the Forbes Norris Clinic. It specializes in muscular dystrophies (and ALS too). We assumed Forbes and Norris were two different people but no. Dr. Forbes Norris was a neurologist who specialized in treatment for ALS (aka Lou Gehrig's Disease).

Anyway, we drove into San Francisco for a 2:30 appointment. The GPS was telling me to use Divisadero Street; the directions from the Sutter website told me to use Webster Street. I knew that Divisadero was one of those steep hills and decided to follow the website instructions. Big mistake! Turns out that Webster is in the TOP TEN official steepest SF streets and Divisadero doesn't even show up on the list!

Egad, I LOATHE driving in The City. It was our first big rainy day of the year so the streets were slippery and I was not sure my Prius (not exactly a powerhouse) would make it up each of these hills. I was so, so scared! But we made it to the parking garage across from the medical center where the clinic is located. The parking garage with the sign "Garage Full" blocking the entrance. Yeah, it was that kind of day.

I drove around and around the blocks looking for a parking spot but found nothing. I finally dropped CPA Boy off and figured I would need to move out several blocks to find a space but on my last quick pass before circling wider around the medical center the closest possible parking spot opened up and I slid right in (didn't even need to parallel park as it was the first spot on the block!).

The doctor wasn't familiar with CPA Boy's case so it took a while for him to get the history and do an exam. Basically he said that we needed to wait for the results of the genetic tests already in process from the Santa Rosa neurologist before we can do much else.

Then we went and had fondue for dinner before heading home. For the record I have already plotted out a much flatter route to the medical center for our next trip.

The doctor ended up calling CPA Boy the next day after he had read through the rest of the medical records and added a test to already ordered genetic testing. Results of those tests are due around December 20. We'll see.

Coincidentally we needed to drive into The City again last weekend so we could see "The Book of Mormon" at the Orpheum Theatre on Market Street. The play was good, the drive was minimally stressful, and we had dinner at Chevy's afterward.

Thanksgiving was fine but low key. Pops was down in Southern California visiting my brother Everest and his wife Francine Bear. Brother K2 also flew in for the week.

I made our turkey dinner on Wednesday because we went to my in-law's house for dinner on Thursday. This meant that we still had leftovers once we got home! (Tonight's dinner uses up the rest of the leftovers: mashed potatoes in a sausage potato casserole.)

I started making a blanket for The Boy as a Christmas present. I had made him one years ago but it was sized for his twin bed; this one is sized for his double bed.This is it so far, about a third of the way finished. It's so bright and cheery! Meanwhile there's a large pile of yarn on the family room floor:


My plan is to avoid repeating any color patterns (so far so good) and it helps to have everything out where I can see it. The Boy knows about it as he helped pick out the colors.

My other November activity while crocheting the blanket was watching a zillion documentaries on the JFK assassination. I am a total assassination buff so these shows were fascinating for me. I am not a fan of the conspiracy theories or of the fictional retellings. I'd rather see the actual Jackie Kennedy than an actress portraying her for instance.

And speaking of Mrs. Kennedy, watching all of these shows (and there have been dozens) highlights what an amazing woman she was. I have so much respect, admiration and sympathy for her and the tragedies she lived through. She was only 34 years old and had already lost two children (one stillborn daughter and one son who died two days after his birth). She died relatively young from cancer; she was 64 (only 13 years older than I am now). Amazing woman.

That's the gist of November's activities. I still have a bunch of Christmas shopping to do but it's all coming along. I'll need to get the tree up too. December is generally a month where nothing else gets done but Christmas ore New Year's Eve related things. January will bring some peace and quiet. That's the plan anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment