Sunday, January 5, 2014

Irresolutions 2014

Irresolution means uncertainty. As I mentioned before, I do not make or keep New Year's resolutions but that doesn't mean I don't have goals! And it's never certain I will manage to achieve them so here are my Irresolutions for 2014:

  • Watch a complete Ginger Rogers/Fred Astaire movie (or more).
    • Oddly, given my movie buff credentials, I have never seen a whole Fred & Ginger movie. CRAZYTOWN, amirite? I have seen clips of several of the musical scenes and occasionally catch parts of some of them on TCM but never an entire film.
    • I have watched many movies with Fred Astaire in them (The Band Wagon, Easter Parade, Funny Face, Holiday Inn, You Were Never Lovelier, On the Beach, and one or two others, but I just couldn't make it through Finian's Rainbow) and I have seen a few Ginger Rogers movies (Stage Door, 42nd Street, and Gold Diggers of 1933).
  • Watch "Star Trek", the original series.
    • I have seen many episodes but not all of them. It's time to correct that deficiency as I am definitely a Trek fan (Trekkie, Trekker, whatever). Because of all the reading I've done about the various "Treks" I feel like I have seen them all. Isn't it amazing how certain cultural things slip through the cracks?
    • I have seen all of The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Enterprise, and all the movies except Insurrection and Into Darkness. I have not seen the cartoon series but I think I can manage to live without it.
  • Get my hair cut and let it grow out in its natural color. Which seems to be white. Sigh.
    • I am very close to having this done because I have about 1-1/4 inches of new growth that does NOT look good against the rest of my dyed black hair. I didn't mean to have black hair as I prefer a nice dark brown but my hair absorbed so much color it got progressively darker and is now this flat black hue.
    • My hair is currently about 20 inches long (yes, I measured) so it will be quite a change in my look from long, dark hair to short, white hair.
    • When I was young my hair was relatively straight and it would dry flat (maybe thanks to the blowdrying that was de rigueur in the 70s and 80s?). Once I was in my 30s it tended to wave and frizz so I am afraid I will have a mop of white hair and look like a fat Q-Tip...We shall see!
  • Write something. Anything.
    • There are some family projects I'd like to do. I still have the collection of family stories and words to write up. I would also like to compile a family cookbook that we could perhaps print out via Amazon's publishing system. I think you can take something written in Word and upload it to Amazon and then order copies. 
    • And, of course, blog more.
  • Make exercise a regular part of my life.
    • This just needs to be done.
  • Finish the vacation scrapbook I started last winter.
    • I was stymied by some missing data cards or negatives, which are still missing. But I have the printed photos that are now scanned and digitized so there's nothing keeping me from getting back to it except day-to-day errands, chores and other calls on my time.
We'll check back in 12 months to see if irresolution turns to resolution.

2 comments:

  1. Wait - where is, "Visit BF in 2014, as I am long overdue" ???! Is this part A of your list?

    That's it. It must be part A.

    kisses!

    p.s. For Fred and Ginger, I recommend "Top Hat" or "The Gay Divorcee" or "The Barkleys of Broadway." Don't watch "The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle" or "Flying Down to Rio" -- they're fine movies but not typical Fred and Ginger at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Part B will be added forthwith! If, of course, I "blog more". Hee!

      Thanks for the Fred & Ginger recommendations. I will keep a close eye on my TCM guide.

      Delete