Thursday, July 24, 2014

Joining the Throwback Thursday Train

Yes, I'm jumping on the bandwagon of Throwback Thursday. I know it's lame but, hey! Easy blog entry!

I think this picture is HILARIOUS! That's me at 10 years old with my youngest brother K2 who's a few months shy of 2. (Nice pacifier, K2!)

Based on the completely unflattering angle I am pretty sure this was taken by my other brother Everest. He would have been sitting on the floor in front of the coffee table (which is not visible in this shot).  Ev had just turned 8 and this is EXACTLY the kind of picture an 8-year-old brother would take of his sister.

It's March 1972 and I am holding a TV Guide while staring at the TV. That pretty much sums up a good chunk of our childhood lifestyle.

I am wearing my school uniform shirt and what seem to be the shorts I wore on the days we had P.E. The uniform also had a blue jumper which I generally changed out of once we got home from school. And my hair is really long! But I am not yet wearing glasses (which I got when I was 11 or 12) so I didn't yet know that people on TV weren't SUPPOSED to be blurry.

I can tell it's March 1972 because that's when we briefly moved into this duplex when my parents decided to sell our house. After about 3 weeks the house still hadn't sold and we moved back to it. I don't remember why my parents changed their minds about selling. I'll need to ask Pop.

What's interesting is that during the 3 or so weeks we lived here is that we had visitors from out of town every single week! Basically we moved in and within a day or two we had company arrive. They left after a week and then we had a different set of visitors. And then a third set. Then we moved back to our old house.

My mom had packed and unpacked all our stuff TWICE and then entertained for three straight weeks! And she didn't know at the time that she had developed a (non-cancerous) stomach tumor so she felt terrible all that time. (She had surgery in the summer to remove it.)

And Orange Plaid Couch ALERT!!!! That stayed in the family until the 1990s!

1 comment:

  1. If you dare wear short-shorts, Nair for short-shorts...

    ReplyDelete