Friday, January 2, 2015

Seven Books, Volume 10

I was hoping to get to 100 books read for 2014. Oh well. Reading 97 books in a year is still pretty good.

Here's the final list of books read:

NON-FICTION
  • Yes Please by Amy Poehler
    • Cute and amusing, much like Ms. Poehler herself.
  • Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis: The Untold Story by Barbara Leaming
    • One point this book makes that I had never come across before is that Mrs. Onassis suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder. This seems so plausible as she was RIGHT THERE when her first husband was murdered. Add in her first husband's propensity for extra-marital dalliances and you come away with so much sympathy for her.
  • The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History by Elizabeth Kolbert
    • There have been 5 major extinction events in our planet's history, the most famous being the demise of the dinosaurs. This book was fascinating, purporting that we are currently in the midst of the 6th extinction as animals and plants are disappearing at a phenomenal rate, even faster than ever before.
  • Tinsletown: Murder, Morphine and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood by William J. Mann
    • In the 1980s I read a book called A Cast of Killers by Sidney D. Kirkpatrick. It was about film director King Vidor who researched the murder of fellow director William Desmond Taylor, an unsolved crime from 1922. Vidor came to his own conclusion about the murderer but the case has never been officially solved.
    • This book covers much the same ground but has an added suspect, an actress who confessed before she died in 1964. A pretty good case is made that this actress and her confederates were involved in blackmailing Hollywood people and that Taylor was murdered by them. Quite interesting.
FICTION
  • Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
  • Voyager by Diana Gabaldon
    • I have read these two books before but decided to pick them up again since the TV series ended its season in September. There are some changes from book to TV series but overall the show is excellent and well cast. 
    • These are easy books to reread during busy times because I already know what happens and can put them down for days at a time with no problem.
    • The first books in this series are the best in my opinion. I had forgotten how much happens over the course of the first three or four books whereas the later volumes have so many characters and side plots that it seems that not as much happens overall.
  • Revival by Stephen King
    • I enjoyed this book as I was reading it but I don't really remember as much about it as I do with other Stephen King books. I counted how many books of his I've read and the total is over 35. The man writes a LOT.

1 comment:

  1. I had the same thought about the Tinseltown book when I heard about it -- King Vidor already solved this! (I think I borrowed that book from you.) But it does sound interesting, and I like reading about that era.

    Happy New Year, honeybunny!

    xx

    ReplyDelete