Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Mundane Monday: One Day Late

So how do you spell the word that means bakery treats? I spell it p-a-s-t-r-y and the plural is p-a-s-t-r-i-e-s. Right?

CPA Boy and I were out and about over the weekend and drove by a bakery in Rohnert Park. The window had a list of available items and one of them was "p-a-s-t-e-r-i-e-s". This made us laugh because when we used to go to the Rohnert Park Baker's Square restaurant (which is now a Shari's Restaurant and Pies --- service sucks so we don't go there anymore) there was a decorative sign on the wall that said "Pasteries".

If you search the Internet you will find websites and cookbooks that use the pasteries spelling.

Pastries is a two-syllable word but I think some people might add in a third, hence adding in the -er- in the middle. Is it because they confuse it with bakery/bakeries? I'm guessing that's the reason. Pace-trees, not pace-ter-rees, RIGHT?

Yes, yes, I have been known to correct misspelled bathroom graffiti too. I'm a spelling dork.

Moving on.

Health-wise, the family has settled down. Grandma is still on the mend. I'll be taking her to a couple of follow-up doctor appointments in the next week. I guess the only really issue is that she doesn't really leave her recliner so she doesn't have much strength in her legs (she's been sitting since September). You just can't make someone move if they don't want to move.

My father-in-law had good news about his kidney issues and needs no more surgery at this time. Yay!

CPA Boy has been healthy and stable for well over a year so that's great. And baseball season is almost here so he's especially jolly these days. (Once the season starts though...)

But me, I'm falling apart!

The plantar fasciitis in my left foot was FINALLY on the mend and then my back went out! We were clearing out all the rat gear from CPA Boy's office and I guess I overextended myself. I was hefting cages and bookcases like I was 23, not 53. A couple of nights later I was climbing into bed (our bed is tall enough so that you literally need to climb a bit to get in) and all of a sudden it felt life a hot knife stabbing into the small of my back. I could barely move! I had no idea how to get into bed! I eventually flopped down on my stomach and then dragged my legs in slo-o-o-owly. The back spasms are the worst part!

You are supposed to ice early on to reduce inflammation and then switch to heat. All our blue ice packs in the freezer had sprung leaks so they were useless. Then I realized I had ACTUAL ICE in the freezer so a zip-lock bag of that was my buddy for the day.

This had never happened to me before but Pop's back goes out at least a couple of times a year. He brought over his heating pad (I have since bought my own) and the cane he uses when his back goes out. The heating pad and cane were my buddies for the next few days.

Anyway, I am fine now but the whole thing seemed to coincide with the worsening of the plantar fasciitis. Guh. My back pain was mostly on my right side so I think I spent more time on my left foot than I should have been. Oh well.

And now I think I have female plumbing issues again. Five years ago I had ovarian cysts, uterine polyps and fibroid tumors removed (the trifecta of non-cancerous lady part problems!). I think some of those may be back based on my symptoms. My doctor likes to do the minimum surgery to correct problems but I'm all, hysterectomy please! We'll see. But who has TIME for any kind of surgery?! It's spring; I have things to do, projects to complete!

But I am having some pain so I can't put it off. Double guh.

We had our little trees planted, three crape myrtles and one magnolia. I'd post a picture but they just look like broomstick handles stuck in the ground. So far. One seems to have some greenery developing but the others are taking their sweet time. The big blooming season here is usually the end of April/beginning of May so there's still hope!

And I actually finished a project! I completed the family vacation album. It feels so good to FINISH something. I think the next album will be one about our pet rats.

Over the years we have had 16 of them. The last one passed on at the start of February so we are getting out of the pet business. Then CPA Boy looked up the total we spent on the rats with Quicken. It was a horrifyingly large amount of money! (My brother Everest made me feel better when he shared that he had spent even more on their pets.)

But it is sad not to have the little guys around anymore. 

Okay, that's it for now. We're all caught up again. My life = mundane? Yup.

1 comment:

  1. In kindergarten, I wish there was a "pastery." Now, I settle for a tart.

    ReplyDelete