Thursday, April 2, 2015

Can You Get Bulk Shepherd at Costco?

I had leftover (gorgonzola) mashed potatoes so I thought it might be time to make Shepherd's Pie.


My cooking guru, Alton Brown, says that Shepherd's Pie is made with shepherd, or failing that, then mutton or lamb. If you use anything else it should be called a Cottage Pie.

Here's a snippet of the recipe from the Good Eats 3: The Later Years:


I, sadly, had no shepherd in the freezer nor any lamb or mutton. I went with plain ole ground beef so I made a Cottage Pie.

The other ingredient I was missing was carrots which is odd because I almost ALWAYS have carrots in the fridge. (I blame CPA Boy who kept taking them to lunch.)

But I did have some zucchini and winter squash from a prior dinner (stuffed peppers in the crock pot). I sauteed them first because I thought they might release a little too much liquid though it ended up that they didn't.



As far as I can tell zucchini and winter squash taste basically the same. They are no real replacement for carrots but it is a good idea to get a few more veggies into a meal.

I put the sauteed squashes aside and started on the onion. I add onion to almost everything (whether the recipe calls for it or not) so naturally I think I should have used more.


Then comes time to add the shepherd substitute! Ground beef from Costco (which, sadly, does not seem to carry shepherd OR mutton). They may carry ground lamb. I'll need to check next time.



Then after browning, it's time to add the gravy ingredients and let it all simmer.


Once that is done you add back the veggies: the zucchini, winter squash and some corn and peas.
Then put the whole mixture in baking dishes (I used 7x11 rather than 9x13) and top with mashed potatoes.



Bake for about 1/2 hour and voila! Cottage Pie!
I had too much filling for the baking dishes so I put the bonus filling in ramekins. But I didn't have enough mashed potatoes! I brought some to Pop and he coincidentally had a couple of leftover boiled potatoes in his fridge so he just needs to mash them up, spread them on top and bake until heated through.
The filling was really tasty! Doesn't it look delicious? It was. And is. We have been eating it for 3 days now.

And here's a link to Alton Brown's recipe on Food Network.

I don't know what's going on with the spacing today. The spaces between paragraphs are invisible on my screen but show up on the preview and I can't seem to fix it. So sorry if it looks weird!

1 comment:

  1. Just to clarify, I take carrots FOR lunch, not TO lunch. Kelly loves to substitute, even for recipes she has never tried. Some day I will get to devour some shepherd.

    ReplyDelete