Carrie is a newspaper columnist, writing weekly about, you guessed it, sex and the city (Manhattan specifically). She meets a man in the first episode nicknamed "Mr. Big" and then obsesses about him for the entire series. Big is portrayed by Chris Noth, also a regular on "Law & Order" before SATC and "The Good Wife" after it. He is a very attractive man but his character is kind of an asshole so it gets frustrating that Carrie keeps after him for so very long.
As for the other three, Miranda is a lawyer who is cynical about romance. She has an on-off relationship with Steve. Samantha runs her own public relations firm and enjoys lots of casual sex. Charlotte, who works at an art gallery, is a romantic who is searching for the perfect husband.
All of these women are white, wealthy and have no problem getting men to sleep with them. They are in their early 30s as the show starts except for Samantha who is about 10 years older. Carrie constantly pleads poverty but she lives in a fabulous Manhattan apartment, buys $400+ shoes regularly, drinks in bars constantly and eats in trendy restaurants every episode so she is "poor" compared to her friends but not poor compared to regular folks. All on the salary of someone who writes ONE article per week! No wonder everyone wanted to be Carrie!
I have been watching the show the last few weeks and I am through the 3rd season so far. I know how it all ends up (12-YEAR-OLD SPOILER ALERT: Carrie ends up with Mr. Big), it's not laugh out loud funny, and I'm more irritated by the women, especially Carrie.
There are several quizzes on the Internet that will tell you which character you are: in one I was a Charlotte, in another "you WISH you were a Carrie but alas, you are a Miranda".
Like it matters! As I watch I think I am temperamentally more of a Carrie --- obsessing over men was definitely a specialty of mine (somewhere my best friend Lady Chardonnay is snorting coffee through her nose as she reads this!) --- with a dash of Charlotte and Miranda, thus obsessive and romantic yet cynical. I don't seem to have much of Samantha in me but I find that she's the character I'm drawn to most as I watch in 2016. She is so comfortable with herself and her sex life that you have to admire her. Except for Samantha these women seem to define themselves only by the men in their lives.
At the time it was considered risque' how Samantha's sex life was portrayed and discussed but that was then. Now we have "Girls", another HBO comedy with 4 leads who are white women with little in the way of financial difficulties. But they are even more free with the sex talk and situations than SATC ever was! And of course lip service is paid to how broke or jobless they sometimes are but they manage just fine.
The differences between "Sex and the City" and "Girls" are that the first takes place mainly in Manhattan while the second is based in Brooklyn. The girls in "Girls" are in their mid-twenties instead of their early 30s. (I assume the next HBO show with 4 white women will be about teenagers in The Bronx, Queens or Staten Island about 10 years from now.)
The character I seem closer to in "Girls" is Hannah, the lead role. She wants to be a writer and she is considered chubby. There the similarities to me end. I am nothing like Carrie or Hannah in any ways that count --- my life couldn't be farther from a young, single woman's in New York City in any decade --- but I think one is drawn to them because they are the leads. Since we "play" the lead roles in our own lives so it would make sense to identify more closely to the lead in a TV show. I guess I am just as self-centered as those characters after all?!
So the point is this:
- Which "Friends" character am I most like?
- Obsessive Monica! (The quiz agrees!) I'd add a bit of sarcastic Chandler too.
- Which is your favorite Beatle?
- In my childhood it was Paul, the cute one. Then it was John. Then it was George. Now I'm back to John again. Sorry, Ringo!
- The quiz tells me I am most like Paul. Whatever that might mean!
- Which "Girls" character are you?
- According to the two quizzes I took I am either annoying Marnie or a combo of Hannah and Jessa.
- Which Harry Potter character are you?
- I would choose Hermione but the quiz said Bellatrix. Hmm...
- Which "Game of Thrones" character are you?
- I say Margaery but the quiz says Cersei. Hmm...
- Which Middle Earth (Tolkien) character are you?
- I say Hobbit; the quiz says Hobbit.
- Which character from "Lord of the Rings" are you?
- I choose Arwen, a beautiful elf who pines for Aragorn, but the quiz says Merry, a supporting Hobbit.
- Which "Star Trek: The Next Generation" character are you?
- I am definitely a Wesley, sayeth the quiz.
- Which "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" character are you?
- Quiz? Jadzia Dax.
- Which "Star Trek: Voyager" character are you?
- I am the captain now! Kathryn Janeway it is!
- Which astrological sign are you? (Yes, there are quizzes for EVERYTHING!)
- I am actually a Pisces and the quiz guessed Taurus or Pisces.
It's all ridiculous, isn't it?